some of our favourite songs

we sing our little hearts out

When I was in grade 3 I was asked to play the cymbals in the school Christmas concert.  They didn't want me singing.

Oh, well.

Since I was 8, I have learned to find the right note most of the time, and we do a lot of singing and moving and dancing in the classroom.


I have music playing when I welcome the kids in at the beginning of the morning.

One of my favourites is Jack Johnson's Sing-a-longs and Lullabies.  Here's We are Gonna be Friends.


The helper for the day always gets to have a song about their name.  The class favourite is a Jack Hartmann song  - The Name Game.

Click the picture of Jack to hear The Name Game


My favourite classroom song is our clean up song.  And not just because it's when the classroom begins to be put back to rights again!  It's just a super cool song.

We clean up and dance to Oh My Goodness Look at this Mess by Sweet Honey In the Rock.  The song lasts 3 minutes and 20 seconds and has a great beat and fabulous words.  (Read more about clean up here.)

O my goodness look at this mess
I'm the one who made it I do confess
O my goodness look at this mess
I guess I better clean it up.

a few fabulous verses, and then this at the end of the song

O my good ness look at me
Accepting responsibility
O my goodness look at me
Growing up positively

You can have a 30 second listen on Sweet Honey in the Rock's myspace page.

It's a 99 cent download on itunes. 

I'm linked up with Rachel at Teaching with Z for her favourite classroom songs linky.  Rachel has invited teachers to "chat with her in the hallway" about their favourite songs for transition times.


We sing lots.  We sing loud.  And no one is asked to play the cymbals!


2 comments

  1. Oh my gosh! I love that Jack Johnson CD and I completely forgot about it! I need to put that on my work computer ASAP!

    I found you through the linky party and I'm a new follower!

    -Jessica
    A Turn to Learn

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top