what's in a name?

If I was Icelandic, I would be known as Sandi Geoffreydottir.

Sandi, because that is the name given to me by my parents. 

Geoffreydottir, because my father's name is Geoffrey, and I am his daughter.  

My brother's name would be Ian Geoffreyson. 

Last names as a family name do not really exist. 

And nobody uses the "last name". Everybody is referred to by their first names. Teachers, doctors, even the Prime Minister, all addressed by their first names. 

I read that the phone book lists everyone by their first name. So Pete and I went to check it out.




Yup. Alphabetical order by first names. Just how we do it in kindergarten!  


Names are something pretty important to us. 

Here are some books about names that I love/have in my classroom/have heard wonderful things about.


Saying farewell with a blast from the 60s, and Sister Jude and the Name Game.

                                           


   

6 comments

  1. Thanks for the name books. Haven't heard of some of those.
    Interesting about the Icelandic names!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool. I think it's very middle age-ish too. I might have to change my name now. I like it!

    Kimberley Guydottir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kind of suits you. If you go true Icelandic - your students would call you Kimberly, not Mrs Guydottir.

      And I take it you mean middle ages - not women of a certain age!!

      Sandi

      Delete
  3. Wow! I had no idea they still did the changing last names - that used to be the case in Denmark and even parts of English where my ancestors are from, but it's been a long time. Thanks for teaching me and linking up with Creative Kids Culture Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was fascinating! I was totally unaware that there was so much focus on first names in Iceland, even down to listing people by first name in the phonebook.

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating! I wonder if this would work in a really large population? Thanks for linking up to the Creative Kids Culture Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top