celebrate - love and thankfulness

I like to end the school week by celebrating our classroom  community.

Every Friday afternoon, we dim the lights and sit in a circle on our carpet.

We pass around a bell, or a First Nations drum, or a singing bowl - something that is good for bringing  sound to our gathering.

On Friday we passed a rainstick around the circle.  

As each child has a turn with the instrument, they say something that they are thankful for.

The rainstick went around the circle until it came to one of my little guys.

In his most heartfelt voice: "I am thankful for my mom.  She is sooooo beautiful.  When she puts on makeup to look pretty, I just can't stand how beautiful she is."

My heart skipped a beat.

And he passed the rain stick to the next child.

I am joining with Ruth Ayres Writes and the Celebrate community to celebrate the big joys, the little achievements, and young boys who love their mamas fiercely.






20 comments

  1. What a sweet celebration! That would have been a *heart flutter* for sure! I like the idea of having them say something they are thankful for. Maybe if we did that, it would help with my grumpy Friday afternoon slump!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes our Friday thank yous are necessary reminders why I love my k-kids!

      Delete
  2. So sweet. I hope that you shared this with the beautiful mom. I finish the school week with celebrations too. I like when the students (grade 3) notice and celebrate someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the idea of celebrating someone else. I think we will switch it up one Friday.

      Delete
  3. That is just so sweet! The sharing circle on Fridays is a great idea as well. Thanks for this glimpse into your classroom community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment Andrea.

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of a Friday sharing circle. And such a sweet, sweet, sweet little guy! I hope you told his beautiful mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not see the beautiful mama on Friday - but I will make sure to tell her the story.

      Delete
  5. I have older students (middle school 6, 7, 8) & we share at the end too, but do what I call "best thing, worst thing". It's a nice wrap up for the week. I love your story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think we think about gratitude enough. What a great way to give them a meaningful way to do that. That comment was just classic! :)

    Not Just Child's Play

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are doing our best to develop an attitude of gratitude.

      Delete
  7. That is such a wonderful activity for a Friday afternoon. That boy's comment about his mom is just magical. Such a powerful memory that mom made - putting on make up probably before she went to work one day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your Friday afternoon practice, and that you use something to bring sound to the gathering. Such a thoughtful way to end the week. Young boys who love their mamas fiercely - love that phrase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It sends us on our week ends with a good attitude towards life.

      Delete
  9. What a sweet thing to say! What a great way to end a week! And, I was looking around your site. I love the winter trees!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top